Looking for funding for your first feature-length documentary film? Apply to The Whickers Film & TV Funding Award for the chance to win £80,000.
This Whickers award was created to build on the legacy of award-winning broadcaster Alan Whicker. The Whickers awards supports emerging documentary filmmakers to tell original and director-led stories with honesty, professionalism and wit. Their flagship award, the Film & TV Funding Award, is currently open for applications. It has available a main grant of £80,000 and a runner-up contribution of £15,000. The Whickers award is free to enter and open to documentary talent anywhere in the world. This Film & TV Funding Award is one of the most significant international grants for directors working on their first feature-length (50 minutes+) documentary film. Deadline for applications have been extended to 14 February 2019.
How to apply
Well in advance of the deadline, you should go through the full application questions to prepare your answers according to the requested word limits. You may also need to gather the required links and information. You can expect to answer questions on the following:
- Title, logline, up to 300 words on how your project meets the criteria
- Personal and contact details, your role in the project, details of a referee who can confirm that this is your first 50+ minute documentary film
- Password protected link to teaser footage, publicity and deadline agreements
- Your treatment, up to 2000 word synopsis of your project, an estimated budget of various elements in production and post-production of the film. Also, any existing funding or plans for future funding, details of your production company (or project account/fiscal sponsor), details of your executive producer and confirmation that your project complies with our majority sponsor criteria.
- Your background in documentary making (if any) as well as 50 words each on how you gained film-making skills, what inspires you, how the funding will benefit your project and why people would really love your film.
Follow this link to find the application.
Shortlisted filmmakers will be notified in April 2019, and will pitch their projects at Sheffield Doc/Fest in June 2019. Whickers award winners will be announced at the Doc/Fest ceremony.
See more industry opportunities and news here.