Looking for funding for your first feature-length documentary film? Apply to The Whickers Film & TV Funding Award for the chance to win £80,000. Established to build on the legacy of award-winning broadcaster Alan Whicker, The Whickers support emerging documentary filmmakers to tell original and director-led stories with honesty, professionalism and wit. Their flagship award, the Film & TV Funding Award, is currently open for applications and has available a main grant of £80,000 and a runner-up contribution of £15,000. The award is free to enter and open to documentary talent anywhere in the world. The Film & TV Funding Award is one of the most significant international grants for directors working on their first feature-length (50 minutes+) documentary film. The deadline for applications is 31 January 2019.
- Must be the filmmaker’s first 50+ minute documentary film where they own the director or co-director credit
- Open to filmmakers from anywhere in the world. We encourage international filmmakers to apply
- Projects must be at the late development or early production stage at the time of applying – this is not a finishing fund
- Must provide proof of company viability. Award money will be paid into a registered company account in instalments; award money cannot be paid to an individual
- Up to six minutes of original taster footage is required at the time of applying
- Must be accessible for an English-speaking audience – whether in the English language, or subtitled in English
- Applicants must have an executive producer on board at the time of applying. Should they be shortlisted, applicants must be available to travel to the UK in mid-June 2019 to pitch their project at Sheffield Doc/Fest
It is recommended that, well in advance of the deadline, you go through the full application questions in order to prepare your answers according to the requested word limits, and gather the necessary links and information. Shortlisted filmmakers will be notified in April 2019, and will pitch their projects at Sheffield Doc/Fest in June 2019. Award-winners will be announced at the Doc/Fest ceremony.
Source: Screen Skills