BFI NETWORK x Film Hub Midlands Stories to Shorts: Script Development Programme 2023
Have an idea for a short film and want to develop it into a script?
The aim of this programme is to help writers and writer/directors develop an early-stage idea for a short film into a script over the course of two months.
They will select up to ten writers based in the Midlands to attend sessions online, meeting regularly to collaboratively develop their short film narratives while working alongside a script editor to take their stories ideas to completed drafts.
Over 9 weeks, selected writers will receive training sessions from screenwriter and script Editor Laura Jayne Tunbridge, take part in peer sharing sessions led by BFI NETWORK Talent Executives and receive 1 to 1 sessions with an assigned script editor to develop their short film script drafts.
You will need to be able to give 1.5 hours a week over 9 weeks to the programme and additional writing time.
The deadline to apply to the programme is Friday 8th September 2023 at 23:59.
Who can apply?
Participation in the BFI NETWORK x Film Hub Midlands Short Film Development Programme is free and open to writers working in any creative discipline who have an idea for a short film up to ten minutes in length.
- Be able to be told in 10-minutes of screen time
- Have limited characters and locations to increase production viability
- Tell a story with a beginning, middle and end.
They will select up to ten writers based in the Midlands from submitted applications. With support from BFI Film Academy Plus delivered by Film Hub Midlands, four places on the programme will be held for emerging writers aged 18-26 from the Midlands.
Before you apply, please note:
- BFI NETWORK and Film Hub Midlands welcome applications from individuals as well as co-writing teams. You do not need to be working with a producer or director in order to apply.
- You must be based in the Midlands region (as defined by the BFI) and able to commit to attending a range of online writing and development sessions, as well as completing assigned writing work between meetings.
- Your script ideas must be original e.g. not based on existing novels, short stories or other literary works.
- This programme is for early short film script ideas, not ideas that are already in script form.
- Acceptance to this programme does not guarantee success in receiving BFI NETWORK Short Film Funding, due to reopen in early 2024
- The programme is free and will remain online.
- The full programme schedule is to be confirmed.
How to apply
To apply, complete the online application form linked HERE.
The form asks you to share some information about yourself, your creative background, your idea for your short, who inspires you, and what you would like to achieve on this programme.
If you have any additional questions about this opportunity, please contact Film Hub Midlands at email@example.com
Some of these dates may be subject to change.