Grierson DocLab In Focus: Production Management 2023
The Grierson Trust’s Grierson DocLab In Focus: Production Management programme, run in partnership with Netflix, is back for a third year.
The programme offers eight places to UK-based people aged 18+ (with no upper age limit) who have the transferable skills, experience and passion to pursue a career in documentary production management.
Successful candidates will receive:
- Intensive training (six days in-person training in London, with additional online sessions).
- A paid, three-month placement, working on a Netflix documentary production.
- Mentoring by an industry mentor.
- Continued support from The Grierson Trust.
Who should apply
They’re on the search for the next group of eight talented future production management trainees. They’re seeking UK-based people aged 18+ (with no upper age limit) who have the transferable skills to thrive in the world of documentary production.
Applicants should be highly organised, a clear communicator, a multi-tasker and a creative problem-solver. They should have strong IT and budgeting skills and at least three years’ experience in office-based work to demonstrate their skillset (whether that’s within or outside of television).
With a track record of supporting under-represented talent, they particularly welcome applications from: disabled people; people from ethnic minority backgrounds; those from the LGBTQ+ community; people from lower socio-economic backgrounds; people outside of London and more to apply.
What it covers
This programme will provide mid-level freelancers across three years with:
- The intensive training programme is designed to kick-start the production management careers of successful candidates.
- Taking place over six days in-person at Netflix’s offices in central London, the training will be led by industry professional Birte Pederson.
- Training will cover:
- the documentary genre and formats
- cashflows and production paperwork
- health and safety and risk assessments
- demystifying post-production
- managing and looking after personnel
- the importance of diversity and inclusion on a production
- exploring when to step up to the next level in your career.
- As the programme is focused on career changers who may not be familiar with the sector, support will be provided to fill knowledge gaps.
- The training will also feature industry speakers delivering workshops, outlining case studies and answering trainee questions.
- The training will prepare each successful applicant for a placement working on a Netflix documentary production, which will last three months.
- As this is a trainee programme, each placement will be for a new entrant position, starting in the role of Production Secretary.
- Each placement will be different, and will be in person, based at based at the production company the trainee is matched with.
- For those with carer or parental responsibilities with needs around working patterns, discussions will be on a case-by-case basis as to how to best manage for both the individual and the production company.
- Each trainee will be matched with an industry mentor to provide additional support on their journey into the world of production management.
- Meeting once a month over consecutive six months, the trainee and mentor will work together on the former’s career goals, with the mentor acting as a critical friend to the trainee, providing advice on how to approach any work-related questions.
- Coupled with ongoing support from The Trust, trainees will have access to networking events (held online and in-person), plus professional development opportunities through a programme of webinars.
- Trainees will also be invited to the prestigious Grierson Awards in 2024 to network with industry guests. All trainees will then join the Grierson DocLab Alumni group for continued support through the network.
- Applications open – Thursday 27th July 2023.
- Information webinar – 6-7pm, Wednesday 9th August 2023.
- Applications close – 5pm, Friday 22nd September 2023.
- Video call interviews – 19th & 20th October 2023.
- In person training sessions in central London (if you are based outside of Greater London area, they will arrange accommodation) – 27th November – 2nd December 2023.
- Online training sessions – ad-hoc evenings throughout December 2023 and January 2024.
- Timing of your placements is dependent on several factors, and at this stage, they ask that you are available during a February 2024 – February 2025 window.
How to apply
Before starting your application, please read the application questions, guidance, and FAQs. If you have any further questions you can join the information session on Wednesday 9th Aug, 6-7pm. Once you have done so, complete the online application and upload your CV as a PDF file. Please ensure you have the name and email addresses of your two references ready on applying.
If you have accessibility requirements, would like help with your application due to a disability, prefer to submit your application answers via video or audio rather than written form, or have any other reasonable adjustments, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The closing date for applications is Friday, 22 September 2023 at 5pm.
If you have a question or query not answered on the Grierson Trust website or the guidance and FAQs document, please email: email@example.com