2023 POCC x Shutterstock Film Fund: #YourSpace
POCC are thrilled to announce that they’ve partnered with Shutterstock to launch their first POCC Film Fund in 2023. In honour of this year’s theme #YourSpace, the 2023 Film Fund will give two filmmakers of Global Majority Heritage £5,000 each to create their own short film answering the brief: What does ‘your space’ mean as we continue to fight for equality?
WHAT IS THE POCC FILM FUND?
POCC is an organisation of transformation championing change through creativity, activism and non-traditional means. They believe in the power of creativity to drive positive change for the respective communities, and they recognise the barriers to entry and access to funds for global majority creative professionals.
They are funding two short films with budget contributions of up to £5,000 this year with the support of Shutterstock. Projects will receive creative and mentorship support from POCC Productions team, and will be amplified across POCC and Shutterstock channels as well as their POCC Film Club Screenings at London Picturehouse Central.
POCC encourage Filmmakers to team up with a producer before applying, however you do not need a producer to apply as they can facilitate partnerships with producers for successful applicants.
WHO CAN APPLY?
- UK directors and filmmakers and those with equivalent experience over the age of 18 are welcome to apply.
- You must identify as Global Majority – having African, Caribbean, Asian, Latinx, Pacific Islander and/or Indigenous heritage.
- You must be based in the UK.
- You should have a minimum of 1 year film and production experience.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO SUBMIT
A Treatment – please submit a treatment which includes a synopsis of your idea and vision for the film, how it responds to the brief ‘What does ‘your space’ mean as we continue to fight for equality?’, Your Script, Visual approach, Cast, Music /Sound, Post Treatment, Crew.
Budget Estimate Template – please download and complete the production budget estimate template. This doesn’t need to be perfect, but gives POCC a sense of how you’d approach the film in bringing to life. Please outline if you have committed funds from other sources outside of the POCC Film Fund to bring your film to life.
Production Schedule Template – please download and complete the production schedule template with a topline overview of your production timings. Again this doesn’t need to be perfect – but is helpful for POCC to get a sense of how you’d approach topline timings for production.
Applications open 10am (BST) on Wednesday 31st May 2023 and will be accepted until 12 noon (BST) on Sunday 23rd July 2023.
Applications will be reviewed by an independent panel of creative and production specialists from POCC and Shutterstock. The POCC Productions team are happy to review ideas for short films of a length of up to 10 minutes, but ideas should consider the £5,000 budget contribution.
Shortlisted artists will be notified in August and invited to a round of interviews with the panelists to present their treatment and discuss production approach and support.
Final filmmakers will be selected, notified and awarded the grant in August 2023. Once selected, films will need to be delivered by 15th December 2023, so please ensure you consider the production window between September and December this year before applying.
Please take note of the following key dates for applicants and f inalists, it is important that if you are selected as a finalist, you are available between August-November 2023 to produce your f ilm.
- MON MAY 29 – Applications Open
- SUN JULY 23 – Applications Close
- MON 24 JULY – FRI 4TH AUGUST – POCC and Shutterstock Review Applications. Filmmakers shortlisted for interviews.
- W/C 7th AUGUST – Interviews held with filmmakers to discuss treatment, budget, approach and support.
- W/C 14th AUGUST – Successful Filmmakers Notified
- W/C 21st AUGUST / September – Finalists announced and grants awarded and transferred
- SEPTEMBER – Pre–Production Commences
- OCTOBER – Shoot Window
- NOVEMBER – Post and Edit
- W/C 4th DECEMBER – Filmmakers deliver final film
- W/C 11th DECEMBER – Amplification across POCC and Shutterstock Channels
- JAN 2024 – Promotion / Film screening at POCC Film Club across POCC and Shutterstock Channels
HOW TO APPLY
The deadline for applications is 23rd July 2023.
Complete the application form HERE.