What is Branded Entertainment?
It is increasingly challenging for marketers to connect their messages to consumers. Consumers are exposed to marketing messages in all areas of life and are becoming increasingly resistant to established forms of advertising. We have long understood storytelling to be a valuable way of connecting to consumers and communicating key messages. This has led to the development of new ways of engaging with consumers such as branded entertainment. This is “the collaboration between a creative producer and a sponsoring brand in producing content that has the dual purpose of fulfilling the need to be a compelling stand-alone creative product. At the same time, it serves a communications need for the collaborating brand.”
This group of researchers have been working in the area of marketing and consumer behavior in film and television. And, they have observed the development of branded entertainment, noting the following:
- Developing projects that fulfill the communications objectives of brand owners while achieving the creative aims of creative producers and directors is challenging.
- Branded entertainment is not an extended form of advertising.
- When done well, branded entertainment projects can achieve creative objectives of the creative producers as well as the communications objectives of the brand and be enjoyed by audiences.
About the Workshop
So, we will hold a workshop designed to showcase examples of branded entertainment where the creative content produced has legitimacy as a film, television show etc., while at the same time achieving the communications objective of the brand or organisation.
Location: The Mockingbird Cinema and Kitchen, Gibb St, Birmingham B9 4AA
Monday 29th April. 10am-12pm
The aim of the workshop is to inform participants about the potential of collaborating on branded entertainment projects. The workshop will take two hours and is open to all.
We will follow this with a project development lab, and invite you to apply for this separately. Please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. The project development lab will be open to creative producers and professionals from branding, marketing communications and sponsorship/ public relations.
Benefits of participation:
- The chance to gain more understanding of the possibility of branded entertainment
- Be able to meet others interested in collaborating
- To work through the challenges involved in developing such projects
This is a free event. To register click here.
For more industry opportunities, visit our news page.