Screenskills Animation Trainee Finder 2023-24
ScreenSkills Animation Trainee Finder is an entry-level placement scheme which places trainees on animation productions to ensure a continued supply of talent capable of making world-class creative animated content.
Participants become part of an industry-recognised group of trainees and receive exclusive access to paid training placements across the UK.
This is the second year that they are able to offer this programme thanks to the support of UK animation productions that have paid into the ScreenSkills Animation Skills Fund. Their previous edition ran in 2021 and was extended through to 2023. Places will be made available for up to 30 trainees for this edition of the programme.
Animation Trainee Finder 2023-24 is seeking trainees wanting to pursue a career in animation, particularly focusing on entry-level roles in the departments where there are identified shortage roles, namely 2D animators, 3D animators, storyboard artists, stop motion animators and, new for this year, production assistants, art department assistants and editors.
To find out more about the roles mentioned, please explore the ScreenSkills job profiles.
Screenskills are looking for talented individuals from across the UK who have less than 12 months of paid experience in the animation industry. You must be able to clearly demonstrate a passion and commitment for a career in animation by providing evidence of one or more of the following:
- working on previous productions including short films
- looking for/finding work experience
- role-specific skills
To be eligible you must:
- be 18 or over
- live in the UK and have evidence of the right to work in the UK
- have completed full-time education by 1 November 2023 – please note you do not need a university degree to apply
- have less than 12 months’ relevant, paid experience in the animation industry
- make yourself available for placements offered to you during your time on the scheme
- be open and flexible to consider opportunities across the UK
- demonstrate an interest in and commitment to the animation industry and working in the roles identified
- provide a showreel/portfolio that demonstrates your skills and experience
- Any training will be subject to the applicants providing evidence of their right to remain in the UK. Failure to provide appropriate documentation may result in the training placement being withdrawn
- All successful applicants must attend a mandatory two-day, online induction weekend on 28 and 29 October 2023 in preparation for the scheme
How to apply
You will need to have a ScreenSkills account to apply for Trainee Finder. If you do not already have an account, you can register from the homepage.
You will need to provide:
- Evidence of your experience through provision of a showreel/portfolio of your work (please see this guidance on producing a portfolio and further career starting advice)
- Two letters of recommendation. One of the letters must be from a current or past employer, or a tutor or academic, and must be supplied on headed paper and saved as a PDF.
To apply for Animation Trainee Finder, click on the ‘apply‘ button.
If you require an alternative format for the application, or have any questions about the programme, please contact us as soon as possible at email@example.com.
Some of these dates may be subject to change.
- 28 August 2023 – recruitment opens.
- 25 September – recruitment closes.
- 13 October – candidates will be notified if they are invited to interview.
- w/c 16th October – interviews.
- 25 October – successful candidates will be notified if they have been selected.
- 28 & 29 October – induction bootcamp online.
- 30 October – program starts, productions have the option to begin reviewing candidates for placements.
- Spring/Summer 2024 – networking event.
- 30 October 2024 – Trainee Finder 23/24 programme ends.