Creative Skillset is working with BFI Film Academy to match creative and talented young people, who have completed residential training, with companies to progress their skills and gain valuable industry experience. Paid at living wage, trainees commit to up to 12 weeks, with companies contributing just £50 per week towards their training allowance.
Work training placements are a fantastic way for creative companies to develop their teams, expand the skills base and bring in new talent and ideas. For the creative industries in particular, work placements improve the skills of new entrants and promote fair access and growth. This strengthens the expertise and diversity of the current workforce, further boosting the UK creative industries’ robust international reputation.
The BFI Academy internship programme is intended to be a bridge to employment for talented young people who want to make a career in film. Interns who successfully complete placements will also become eligible for Creative Skillset’s Trainee Finder programme, to gain further practical experience and skills.
Coming from residential courses in animation, craft skills, documentary, screen writing and VFX, this exciting new programme will help young people take the next step in their careers. With an emphasis on open access, the programme is targeted to help those young people less likely to progress to further or higher education, or who may find it hard to gain work experience in the creative industries.
• Open to companies working across all areas of film in the UK
• Bring in new ideas and support the next generation of creative talent
• Funding available for 12 week placements – companies pay just £50 per week
• Access training in coaching and mentoring for existing staff
• 8 December – 27 February: expressions of interest invited from companies (assessed on a rolling basis)
• 19 December – 31 January: applications open for BFI Academy alumni (assessed on a rolling basis)
• 15 February – 31 March: internships begin at a range of companies, running for up to 12 weeks per placement
Placements run continuously for up to twelve weeks each, although shorter periods will be considered where a case can be made. A further round of placements will open in May 2015, for students finishing residential programmes in Spring.
Creative Skillset is now seeking expressions of interest from companies that want to host trainees from early 2015 onward. They aim to have placed the first round of trainees with companies by the end of March.
1. Download and read the BFI Film Academy Internship Programme – Factsheet for companies.
2. Complete the short Expression of Interest form.
3. You will be contacted to discuss how a placement can work for you.
To find out more about the benefits of work placements, traineeships and internships for your business, as well as practical advice and answers to common questions, please visit An Employer Guide: Work placements for creative businesses.
For an informal discussion about the programme, or for more information, contact Annabel Grundy, project manager, on 020 7713 9811 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The BFI Film Academy supports talented and committed young people aged 16-19 to develop the commercial and cultural knowledge and skills to help make a career in film a reality. The BFI Film Academy offers training for every film industry role, from writing and directing through to production, sound design, editing and camera, and provides learning around film history and cinematic storytelling to inspire an appreciation of film culture in the round.